The Green Hill Baptist Church was founded in 1862 by Reverend Isom Outen.
- The first church was built in 1901. This building was erected on a hill in a Brush Harbor.
- The second church was built in 1905. The oral history past down through the generations stated that the church edifice was equipped with a bell tower. Green Hill Church had one choir (the senior choir) and four ushers.
- In 1945 Green Hill Church was the only predominately African American church in the Lugoff, SC Sand Hills Community with a substantial congregation. In that same year some members left Green Hill to form High Hill Baptist Church .
- A third edifice was erected in 1967 under the leadership of the Reverend James Wilson. Services were held at this location on 2nd and 4th Sundays of each month. The late Deacon Robert Qualls was Chairman of the Board of Deacons.
- In 1981 Reverend Willie Tucker assumed the pastorate and a dining area was added to the Church. Reverend Tucker served as Pastor from 1981 to 1984. Deacon Johnny Gibbs was elected chairman of the Board of Deacons after the Deacon Robert Qualls departed this life to be with our Lord.
- In 1984 the late Reverend S.M. Hightower, assumed the pastorate of Green Hill Church . Under his leadership the vestibule sanctuary were remodeled. Weekly services began. Deacon Calvin A. O’Neal was appointed as assistant Chairman of the board of Deacons. Reverend Hightower served through 1985.
- In 1986 Reverend Dr. Billy J. Carter Sr. was elected Pastor. Under his leadership twelve have accepted their call to the Gospel ministry. Four have been ordained as Deacons; A modern palatial church edifice dedicated to our LORD Jesus Christ has been erected. Dr. Carter is a first-class leader and progressive Pastor/Teacher who continues the legacy of ministerial excellence at GreenHill Baptist Church.
- In 1993 Green Hill Church began to distribute USDA foods to the community quarterly.
- In 2004 construction of our beautiful new sanctuary began. This effort was led by Pastor Billy J. Carter Sr. The building committee consisted of Chairperson- Deacon Minnie Anthony, Evelyn Ware, Carolyn Benson, and Robert Hudson. Sub committee members were as follows: Reverend Alonzo Tucker, Deacon Freddie Williamson, Loretta Qualls, Barbara Gibbs, Reverend Melandie Portee, Lottie Lyles, and Mary Hudson. The first service was held on Sunday, November 28, 2004, which was our 142nd anniversary. The Church was dedicated on Sunday, February 20, 2005. The Reverend Walter Carter of Long Beach, California preached the dedicatory message.
We praise God for our Ancestors who laid the spiritual and physical foundation of this Church. Green Hill Baptist Church has over one-hundred and forty years of proud Christian service to our community and the best is yet to come!